The Martinerhof started life as the "Gartner - Krämerei", situated at that time in the Haus der Bäckerei opposite where the Martinerhof stands today. Documentary evidence of this building dates back to 1655, though it was probably in existence before that date.
In 1928 the "Gartner-Wirt" was bought by Franz und Barbara Schreder. Josef Dürnberger, son of a local farmer from Hallenstein, then inherited the Gastwirtshaus in 1950.
A few years later, having lost his first wife Kathi, Dürnberger married Gretl, a cook from the "Blaue Gans" in Salzburg. Gretl was born in the Ziller Valley (Gerlos).
As time went on, the couple were no longer satisfied with the old “Gartner-Haus” and in 1954 they decided to build the new Martinerhof on the site of the vegetable garden opposite. After some initial problems, things improved and Gretl Dürnberger continued to run the hotel alone. It was such a success that she then had a ballroom built and this was completed in 1961. In 1979 this ballroom was converted into a restaurant. In 1985 the Martinerhof was sold to its present owners, the Bader family.
After extensive alteration and extension work, the Martinerhof is today able to accommodate 70 guests in 35 double rooms, all of which have a shower/WC, telephone, TV and a balcony. The hotel also has a sauna, solarium, lift to all floors, a la carte restaurant with a terrace, and a sunbathing lawn.
Opened in 1998, Tabak Trafik is the place to buy a range of newspapers, cigarettes and souvenirs, and the hotel also offers a posting service. Substantial refurbishment and extension work in recent years mean that we are now able to offer attractive accommodation in rooms which meet the highest modern standards.